Teater & Pentas
The legend of old ancient wonder of a romantic powerful empire
A spectacular show that takes you on a sensory odyssey through magnificent performance of light and sound of Javanese traditional dances.
The refined, expressive movements of classical Javanese dance come to life in this dramatic, open-air retelling of the Ramayana, including up to 200 dancers and dozens of accompanying musicians.
The Ramayana is a story of epical dimensions and living legend for millennia. Amongst the ancient literature, the tale of the heroic Prince Rama and his loyal wife Sita might be the most influential story. From the land of its birth in India, most of Indian people tend to refer to the story under the term Ramayana.
This Sanskrit epic spanning over seven kandas or books and 20.000 stanzas. To quote Malini Saran and Vinod C. Khanna in their book eThe Ramayana in Indonesiai the Ramayana is perhaps unparalleled in the history of world literature. In Indian tradition it was termed as adikavya, the first poem. In many scholarly works it was assumed that its original author was Valmiki. In its origin, the Valmiki Ramayana is an oral composition. When he lived and wrote there can be no definite answer. But, it is relatively safe presumption that it was around the 1st century B.C. Since then, the Ramayana spread to near by countries by the end of the first millennium A.D.
The first historical mention of the Ramayana in Southeast Asia is a sixth century inscription in Cambodia. Then, the Ramakerti in Khmer version was known in around 16th to 17th century. In Indonesia (Java), at sometime around the end of the ninth century A.D. the story of Rama come from a sculptural narration at Prambanan temple and a poetic rendition in Old Javanese in Java and also in Bali. After the coming of Islam in Java around the thirteenth century A.D. the Ramayana story continued to flourish and appeared in new manifestation the Hikayat Seri Rama and Serat Kanda Ramayanan represent two best story of Rama from the early centuries of the Islamic period in Indonesia.
RAMAYANA PRAMBANAN BALLET
- Jl. Raya Prambanan - Solo KM. 16 Yogyakarta 55572 - INDONESIA
- Tel : +62 274 496406 | 497771
The premiere performance of Ramayana Prambanan Ballet was on July 26th, 1961, but the most important performance which took place under the full moon was on the night of August 25th 1961. The performance was attended by Ir. Soekarno (the 1st president of Indonesia) and other honored guests such as :
- The minister of Education and Culture, Prof. Dr. Prijono;
- The minister of Sea Transportation, Ir. Abdulmuttalip,
- The minister of Counsellor, Mr. Wirjono Prodjodikoro.
- The senior officials attending the performance were :
- The Chairman of Censorship Board Ms. U Suryadarma and The Governor of Jakarta Brigjen Dr. Soemarno.
- The Ambassadors attending the performance were :
- The Ambassasor of The United States of America H.E. Howard Jones,
- The Ambassador of the United Kingdom H.E. Sir Relie Fry,
- The Ambassador of the people's Republic of China H.E. Yao Chung Ming The Ambassador of Japan H.E. Rakio Oda.
- Among the VIP Guests were the famous star Charlie Chaplin.